Thinking about changing your name?

Published 04 May 2018

Do you want to change your name? While this isn't something that many people consider, for others, it marks an important milestone in their life. 

Of course, excluding select parties, Australians are more than welcome to change their name if they want - following a variety of legal processes. Here's how Malouf Solicitors can help.

Determining your eligibility

As mentioned above, there are parties who are restricted from changing their name in NSW. Under the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1995, people including inmates, parolees, individuals on remand, correctional patients, forensic patients, periodic detainees and those subject to a supervision order aren't allowed to change their name without permission from authorities.

If you fall under one of those categories, it's still possible to push this process through. There are a number of exemptions to the restrictions that a lawyer can consider applying under and your legal team can apply to a supervising authority to have the restriction lifted. Not sure about your eligibility? Speak to one of our team members today.

Signing off identification and supporting documents

All applications to change your name must be supported by several different documents. For adults born in NSW, this includes your NSW birth certificate and three certified identification documents that have Photo ID. This could be your Australian passport, NSW driver's license or student ID card. At least one of the forms of ID will need to display your current residential address as well.

Obtaining these documents is the first step and then each must be certified by an approval and registered witness such as a legal practitioner from Malouf Solicitors. These professionals will be able to determine the authenticity of these documents and certify them to be part of your name change application.

Working through individual cases

With the NSW community changing year-on-year, not everyone will fall under the typical name changing applications. For example, if you were born out of state or even overseas, there will be specific documents that you'll need to provide such as visas. The same goes if you want to change the name of a child (either born in NSW or elsewhere).

Working with an experienced family lawyer at Malouf Solicitors, you can ensure all your documentation is approved - making the entire process easier as a result. As well as this, they can answer any questions that you have about the entire name changing application.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail, get in touch with our team today.

Please call us on 02 8833 2000 to speak with a lawyer

Dear Anthony & Kym. Thank you for all your help and support in our matter. It is a big relief to us that it is over. Please also thank your staff, Myla and Lina etc for all their help. It has been a pleasure working with you all, the subject matter notwithstanding. With best wishes and regards,
Nick of Parramatta

Parramatta Office:

Level 5/146 Marsden Street
Parramatta NSW 2124

PO Box 945
Parramatta NSW 2124

Phone: 02 8833 2000
Fax: 02 9687 3697